Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, “Why?”)

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Mar 21 17:27:02 UTC 2014

On 03/21/2014 10:13 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Sure it is. Again, hyperbole doesn't really help. In fact, in many
> situations, an MTA doesn't do you any good, as your network won't allow it
> to do anything useful remotely (true now at most big companies and on most
> big ISPs) and local delivery goes into the black hole of root's mailbox
> unless you configure it. And if you're going to configure one, installing
> one isn't a significant extra step. Plus, since there are multiple different
> MTAs, this is back to your choice of fvwm vs. gnome -- if we have a default
> you don't want, you're going have to remove it to put in your choice.

If you do need to use sendmail, and your ISP is blocking Port 25, it's
not that hard to configure things to use a smarthost.  As an example, I
have my own (vanity) domain and use its mail servers, over Port 587.  I
also have sendmail configured to use that server and port, along with
the appropriate username/password.  If anybody out there needs to do the
same thing, instructions are at http://www.zeff.us/SMTPAuth.txt