Re: no default mta [was Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, “Why?”)]

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Mar 21 17:51:51 UTC 2014

On 03/21/2014 10:30 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Absolutely. But since you need to configure it before it's useful, it's
> arguably actively harmful to have it running by default. That's all. No one
> is removing MTAs from the distro.

That depends.  If your ISP isn't doing any port blocking, the default
configuration is fine.  The only way it can cause problems is if you
need to configure it and haven't, and that's no worse than what happens
if you need it and don't know it wasn't installed.  What cases are you
thinking of that would make it "actively harmful?"