Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I,?“Why?”)

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 20:41:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 07:14:57PM +0000, Powell, Michael wrote:

> The old installer did a much better job of 'guiding' the user through
> a set path of installation which achieved greater visibility and made
> it hard to skip or miss options. Of course, the negative side was the
> user could have an overwhelming feeling due to the tremendous amount
> of time it took to go through everything. The new installer sacrifices
> visibility and guidance for a more free process that sometimes has a
> very cookie-cutter or blank feeling to every screen, but it
> drastically reduces the time spent in installation since the user can
> bounce around wherever they want.

I don't get it, how is "bouncing around" faster? I bounced around for an
eternity when I installed F20 on my new laptop.  Earlier it used to take
me something of the order of an hour to get everything done, this time
around it was so frustrating I gave up after a couple of hours more than
once, finally one weekend I decided I get this done or I do not sleep.

More information is not a problem, if it is something that is
non-essential, an "optional" label next to it should be enough.  This
time around my main problem was anaconda just would not let me choose
the partition sizes I wanted.  In the end I went with putting in a
skeleton scheme that would let me install Fedora, and alter the
partitioning as I wanted post-install.  This is by far the worst disk
partitioning interface in a Fedora installer I have used since F10 (I
started using Fedora regularly then).

--
Suvayu