Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sat Mar 22 05:00:13 UTC 2014

On 03/22/14 08:18, Liam Proven wrote:
> Secondly, I can confirm this finding. I was completely unable to
> install F20 using the current installer program. My system has 2
> drives - a 1TB HD and a 120GB SSD. The SSD holds Ubuntu and Win7; the
> 1TB drive holds /home, swap, a dedicated Windows swap partition, a
> Windows data drive, and 2 spare unused root partitions for test
> distros.

I haven't had the need for multi-boot systems since I use VM's.  But your post got me curious.

I had a Win7 VM with a single disk fully used with NTFS file systems, I'm not using a dedicated Windows Swap, and I did the following.......

1.  Cloned the Win7 system and added a second disk.
2.  Installed Ubuntu on the second drive using a portion of the space and standard partitioning.
3.  Rebooted and tested that I could access Win7 and Ubuntu systems.
4.  Booted into Ubuntu and used parted to create dummy unused partitions.
5.  Then did the F20 installation and selected dummy partitions for reclamation and the installation completed.

My only "complaint" is that when I rebooted there was no menu entry for Fedora.  Apparently the install process wrote the boot-loader to the second disk as that was the only one I had "selected".  I missed the link appearing in the lower left about the boot-loader otherwise I would have caught it.  I wish that link/option would have been more prominent/conspicuous.

So, I re-did step #5 this time selecting both disks and again reclaiming the space that F20 was now taking up.

On reboot I had options to boot F20, F20 rescue, Win7, Ubuntu, and Ubuntu with options.

And all is well.....

So, I don't know what may be different in my configuration (maybe the windows swap?) that allowed me to compete the exercise.  But surely, it isn't totally broken for everyone.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts