poweroff command reboots?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Mar 22 12:49:25 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 21 March 2014, Joe Zeff sent:
> I know that there are systems where you have to hold the power button
> down for several seconds to prevent the system from going down because
> something bumped into the power button; is yours one of them?

Usually, a momentary press of the power button signals the operating
system to begin a shutdown (not a reboot), and a long press forces a
hardware power-off.

In the past, I've had one or two PCs which will not power-down when
commanded by the OS, they'll reboot.  GRUB has two (or more?) variations
of the halt command, so you can kill the PC from the grub boot menu, if
desired (such as when you've accidentally rebooted instead of shutdown,
and you want to abort the restart).  And I seem to recall putting a
parameter on the kernel line, to make Linux handle shutdowns
differently.

It can also depend on whether the motherboard is using APM or ACPI.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.