Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Mar 22 13:28:33 UTC 2014

Joe Zeff wrote:

> Fedora, OTOH, is a much more geeky
> distro designed as a test bed for new ideas, programs and technologies
> that's not for people who don't like to tinker with things or who aren't
> willing to accept that not everything in their distro is really ready
> for prime time.

I'm afraid this "bleeding-edge" metaphor is often used as an excuse
for missing or poor documentation.
Official Fedora documentation is excessively verbose,
and not good at answering - or even considering -
issues and problems that users are likely to face.
There is - or should be - a big difference
between a Reference Manual and a User Manual.

As an example (at random) I'd take using a USB stick for installation.
Does anybody nowadays actually burn CDs or DVDs?
Yet finding instructions on the use of USB sticks
(and external USB drives) in the official installation manual
involves jumping around from chapter to chapter.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net