Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sat Mar 22 17:23:00 UTC 2014

Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> writes:

> On 21 March 2014 23:25, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> Ahh, so when hyperbole simply isn't going far enough we actually
>> have to descend into the obviously ridiculous, as in, worthy of
>> ridicule. My house plant can do a Fedora install with this
>> installer. That you keep failing to get any kind of successful
>> installation is a bit amusing. Maybe you need more water?
>

> Firstly, your mocking hectoring tone is very unhelpful, annoying and
> is not a productive way to engage.

+1

> The F20 installer was completely unable to understand it and allow me
> to install a complete system. Assigned some 250GiB of space, it said
> that it needed 6.5GB and there wasn't enough room.

Yeah I had the same thing coming up with the F19 installer.  There was
plenty of room and it said there isn`t and refused to use the partitions
that were there.  And try to make it use existing partitions
... "disaster" is a good word to describe it.

> In trying to install, it erased one of the spare-root partitions and
> was unable to recreate it in the available empty space.

That`s why I`d have to unplug all disks except the system disks I`d
install on --- which is a PITA.  And it`s not even possible when you
have a laptop and are forced to install on the same disks the data is
on.

> It *is* broken and it *is* unusable. "Well it works for me" is *not*
> an adequate reply.

+1

Let`s say you install to a software RAID-1 --- which is minimum
requirement for anything to put data on --- made from two disks, with
encrypted partitions (as usual /, /usr, /home, /tmp, /var, /usr/local,
and a swap partition).  You want to have these partitions in a
particular order on the disks, i. e. swap at the beginning because
chances are it`s faster, then /usr, /var, /tmp, /usr/local and /home, in
that order.

That`s nothing complicated, either, and I don`t think that`s possible
with Fedoras installer.  Or is it?  And if it is, how long does it take
to do the partitioning?

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)