Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sat Mar 22 21:00:06 UTC 2014

On 03/23/14 02:29, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Does anybody nowadays actually burn CDs or DVDs?
>> Yes.....  The BIOS on many of the machines I encounter don't support
>> booting from USB.
> How old are they?

Probably 2~3 years old.  They have either i5 or i7 CPU's.  Some are HP branded, but the motherboard is MSI.
> Assuming they are very old, would it not be more rational
> for the documentation to assume that the user
> was at a reasonably new machine,
> and add a section or appendix to deal with the case of an ancient BIOS?

The "easy" way to deal with these "not so old and perfectly good" systems is to use a DVD/CD that have been burned.

> In my view, if 90% of users are going to use option A,
> then 90% of the user documentation should deal with that case.
> Treating all options equally is a recipe for verbosity.

Well, the question you asked was "Does anybody nowadays actually burn CDs or DVDs?".  And is exactly and only what I'm addressing.

Yes, documentation could be better.  And, you're perfectly able to assist in correcting that deficiency.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts