Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, “Why?”)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 23 07:08:10 UTC 2014

Powell, Michael sent:
>> The system name or hostname is important to networking; so, I can
>> see why it's under networking, but I believe your frustration is more
>> related to the lack of guidance and quality than anything else.

Tim:
> Well, actually, for a lot of people, the system name is simply what
> they want to call the computer.  The computer may not even be on a
> network, at all.  There's certainly cause for having a process of
> naming the computer.

for having a *non-network* process of naming it...

Which brings to mind an annoying situation that crops up from time to
time:  Booting up a computer that's usually connected to a network, but
sometimes not.  For those "not" times, you may find your computer has
been renamed "localhost," which is annoying at best, and problematic at
worst (if you have some things that used the old hostname, and expect it
to still be in use).

Likewise for connecting that same computer to another network, which
gives it a different hostname.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.