Booting into emergency mode - Help!

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 14:20:36 UTC 2014

Hello all,

For reasons I won't bore you with I am stuck on F17 for the moment (At
Easter I have some time off and intend to upgrade then).

I had left the kernel on 3.8.13-100FC17 which worked just fine, but had
to install some packages this weekend and allowed the kernel to update
too. Now when I first rebooted I got an error:
Cannot open font file True
Welcome to emergency mode. Use "systemctl default" or ^D to enter
default mode.

I followed some tutorials I found which indicated changing
"SYSFONT=True" to "SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16" and running
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

This I did, and now the "Cannot open font file True" message is gone,
but it still fails to boot, giving me:
Welcome to emergency mode. Use "systemctl default" or ^D to enter
default mode.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue)

I tried to boot into my previous - working - kernel, but no joy - same
message.

This machine is my mail server so I would really appreciate some help!

Thanks in advance

Mark