can't boot F19 system

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 18:45:26 UTC 2014

On 03/20/2014 08:04 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2014, at 6:11 PM, pgaltieri . <pgaltieri at gmail.com
> <mailto:pgaltieri at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> When I run fsck on the disk it comes back clean.
>
> Try
> fsck.ext4 -f <dev>
>
> It's possible the journal is clean but the file system is not.
>

>> So how does Linux decide if a drive can be safely removed versus
>> unmounted?
>
> If it's unmounted it's safe to remove. If it's mounted, it's not safe
> to remove.
>
> If you're mainly using mate, I'd think that it has a way to automount
> volumes, and therefore when you reboot it'll unmount them cleanly
> first. I don't know that it needs to be in fstab.
>

> Chris Murphy

Chris,
   my question referred to the menu option.  In one case the menu option
says "Safely Remove Drive" in the other case the menu option says
"Unmount".  In the case of "Safely Remove" when I select it the system
unmounts then remounts the filesystem.  In the case of "Unmount" the
system unmounts the filesystem, but does not remount it.

Paolo