Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, “Why?”)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 20:11:56 UTC 2014

On 23 March 2014 19:08, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:15:03 +0100
>> lee wrote:
>>
>>> Think of fvwm: You may think it`s a "minimalistic" window manager.  It
>>> is not, it`s actually the most powerful and most versatile WM I have
>>> ever seen, and it`s easy to configure to do exactly what you want.
>>
>> No only that, but it works the same way all the time as long as you
>> keep your same .fvwmrc files. Imagine that: You don't have to re-learn
>> the user interface on every release.
>
> Not only that, you only need to learn once how to set it up the way you
> want it.
>
> Now someone tell me how I get virtual desktops with gnome or kde to
> which I can switch by just moving the mouse pointer over the edge of the
> screen?  How do I get a pager as I have with fvwm with gnome or kde?
> Where is the configuration file for defining my key bindings, menues,
> window decorations ...?

kde: System Settings | Workspace Behaviour | Screen Edges | Other
Settings | Switch desktop on edge (Disabled/Only when moving
windows/Always Enabled).
Also, System Settings | Workspace Appearance for appearance changes,
Shortcuts and Gestures for...

> I once tried a window manager that would show some sort of cubes when
> you wanted to switch desktops.  It somehow required a huge amount of
> resources to do that.  People were really excited about it.  I found
> that it looks nice and totally gets into the way because I`d be looking
> at those stupid cubes when I wanted to switch desktops and they won`t
> really let me and were only one dimensional (i. e. you could turn them
> left and right but not up and down or move several around on your screen
> to pick a desktop from one of them) and served no purpose.  I forgot how
> it was called ... compitz maybe?

Compiz. Which did compositing (and didn't really need massive
resources so much as graphics hardware support). Had some nice and
genuinely useful features which have not carried over to newer WMs
which have adopted compositing.

Though the cubes themselves were pretty cosmetic it was the same
technology also that also let you view all desktops live when
switching.

> With fvwm, I just move the mouse pointer over or press AltGr and an
> arrow key, and I`m on the next desktop without any delays or something
> getting into my way.  It even does a better job with tiling than i3
> does: It just does it, without having you try to figure out how to get
> your windows arranged and without the confusing containers which never
> really do what you want, and I can have sticky floating windows which
> you can`t have with i3 ...
>
> Can gnome or kde do tiling?  With sticky floating windows?  I have that
> on one of the virtual desktops for two seamonkey windows; almost
> everything else is full screen.

KDE does not do true tiling (Compiz did). It does do pining, which is
what the pin button at the top left of each window does. And keyboard
shortcuts for desktop changes (thought the default is Ctrl+F1-4 rather
than ctrl+alt and arrow).

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk