poweroff command reboots?

Aero Maxx aero.maxx.d at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 23:39:54 UTC 2014

On 22/03/2014 12:49, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 21 March 2014, Joe Zeff sent:
>> I know that there are systems where you have to hold the power button
>> down for several seconds to prevent the system from going down because
>> something bumped into the power button; is yours one of them?
> Usually, a momentary press of the power button signals the operating
> system to begin a shutdown (not a reboot), and a long press forces a
> hardware power-off.
>
> In the past, I've had one or two PCs which will not power-down when
> commanded by the OS, they'll reboot.  GRUB has two (or more?) variations
> of the halt command, so you can kill the PC from the grub boot menu, if
> desired (such as when you've accidentally rebooted instead of shutdown,
> and you want to abort the restart).  And I seem to recall putting a
> parameter on the kernel line, to make Linux handle shutdowns
> differently.
>
> It can also depend on whether the motherboard is using APM or ACPI.

If I am logged in the console via ssh from another machine and I press
the power button it does indeed say its going for shutdown.

However it does infact reboot as it comes back on and boots the OS again.

How would I know if its using APM or ACPI ?

I've noticed some mentions of ACPI in the package list.

Thanks
Daniel.