USB vs DVD, was: Fedora Present and Future

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Mar 24 04:19:10 UTC 2014

On 03/23/2014 04:41 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2014, at 2:36 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> On 03/23/2014 08:56 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:

>> Yes, because unlike USB-sticks, I am archiving them and resort to using them as "ready-to-use/off-the-bookshelf" media, e.g. in cases of "emergencies".
>
> Offtopic but for what it's worth pretty much all dye based DVD is effectively disqualified from archiving because of the massive variance in errors, with the initial error rates (immediately after writing) busting the relevant standard (ISO/IEC29121). To even consider it requires ISO/IEC 10995 discs, a dedicated archival recorder, periodic testing strategy to know when to migrate data to new discs, and proper storage conditions (low temperature and humidity).
Sure, but I am not talking about "archiving for eternity".

I am talking about archiving for a couple of years (Typically
life-time+ of a Linux-distro) to have a last-resort fallback at hand in
situations, when no free usb-stick, no network or functional machine is
at hand. These situations are rare, nevertheless they occasionally  happen.

In short, I adopted the habit to carry a Fedora-DVD in my
Fedora-notebooks' case, because this had saved me from more serious
troubles several times. I certainly could carry a USB-stick, instead ;)

Ralf