Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, “Why?”)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 07:53:03 UTC 2014

On 23 March 2014 23:08, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> There is no-one on the planet who thinks emacs is minimalistic
>
> I`m not so sure about that.  There are even ppl who have never heard
> about emacs, and if they`d see it, they might very well think it is.

"Eight Megs and Constantly Swapping" This is a program which has the
reputation of having a module for everything. Why are people who have
never heard of it relevant?
http://xkcd.com/378/
Perhaps even more pertinently:
http://xkcd.com/1172/

>>> wasn`t anything better.  There still isn`t --- and the LaTeX sources
>>> from back then can still be worked with and printed with no problem.  I
>>> still have them.
>>
>> Provided they only use packages that are compatible with the TeX
>> distro you've got available.
>
> Even if they don`t, I can still edit them and make adjustments if
> necessary.  If anything fails, I can print the sources as they are.  Had
> I used some WYSIWYG word processing software instead, I wouldn`t even be
> able to read them anymore because this word processing software doesn`t
> exist anymore since a long time.

Yes plain LaTeX is fairly readable in source form, but that's not an
absolute requirement for being future proof. Educate yourself on ODF.
You could even get the plain text out.

>>> I don`t know what would be better than packages.  I wish there were more
>>> packages and am only saying it`s too difficult to make them.  Perhaps
>>> there`s good reason for it, perhaps it can be made easier.  Someone who
>>> knows how to make them might be able to tell.
>>>

>> Ultimately writing a basic spec file is pretty simple, if you can do
>> the configure-make-install cycle it should be straightforward enough.
>
> Is there some documentation about how one would make a package that can
> be integrated into Fedora?
>
> How would I find out what the package would have to depend on?

There is, but I'm finished googling stuff for you.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk