Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 12:27:41 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 10:56:13PM +0100, lee wrote:

> There`s nothing weird or exotic about it.  I`ve always had /usr on its
> own partition until the F17 installer refused that, which it shouldn`t
> have.

I'm sorry but the installer denying /usr on its own partition on F17 is
the right thing to do.  I believe F17 introduced something called
usr-move, meaning all the binaries in /bin /sbin are actually
hardlinks/symlinks to /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.  I believe this was a
multi-distribution effort.  In such a configuration, there is no
justification or gain of putting it in a separate partition, on top of
that the booting process becomes quite complicated.

--
Suvayu