Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:12:50 UTC 2014

On 24 March 2014 12:45, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> /usr belongs on it`s own partition.  And last time I looked, it would
> not be compliant with the FHS not to have what is needed in /bin and
> /sbin but to use symlinks instead.

I think that's a very 1980s, or early-1990s, way of looking at it.

Since the normal way to boot a PC now is a complete functioning OS on
a single removable-media volume - be that an optical disk or USB flash
media - most of the rationale for splitting up  the bits of the /usr
tree have long ceased to apply. The smallest hard disks available
today (~500GB) are roughly 2 orders of magnitude bigger than is needed
for a full Linux desktop install (~5GB). It is not possible to buy a
new computer without a graphical display.

There is no need for separating out admin binaries, user binaries,
local binaries, graphical binaries etc. any more, and hasn't been for
about 2 decades.

I think it's a brilliant, if brave, idea of Fedora to get rid of a
historical distinction that is now pointless, but it's planned and
discussed and decided, as far as I know:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile