Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:47:18 UTC 2014

On 23 March 2014 20:19, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 22 March 2014 18:25, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>>> Make sure you file a bugzilla.
>>
>> How/why? It's not a bug.
>
> How do you know? You haven't filed a bug report, you haven't presented any logs to anyone to find out if what you're experiencing is in fact intended behavior. You haven't even stated the nature of the installation failure.

I have to say that you are one of the most hostile, confrontational
and aggressive people that I've come across in a support community
since Richard Morrell of Smoothwall, about 12 years back, who
alienated so many users that a bunch of them got together and forked
it into IPCop... in large part so that they could have support
communities without that man in them, telling them that they were
stupid and wrong and should just go away if they didn't like it.

Do you realise this?

Are you doing it deliberately?

> It will not. Because this is the user to user forum. To cause a design change in the installer means posting to the Red Hat anaconda-devel@ list. To cause a design change specific to Fedora means posting to the Fedora devel@ list. Bugs, requests for enhancement, and even perceived clearly articulated design flaws should have bug reports filed. Pretty much always when an installer bug is filed, the installer logs should be attached (at least program.log and storage.log).

Well, OK. I am not a developer of or contributor to the product and
since I can't even install it on my PC I am not very likely to become
one, so I will just have to let it be for now, then.

> You're seriously acting like this is your first day at the rodeo. You are supposed to state what did happen,

What, like I did on the 5th of March in the threat entitled "Can't
install ƒ20", when I said:

<<
Hi there. First post from someone returning to the RH family fold for
the first time since about 1996-1999, when I was a RHL user (v4 - v6
full time on my servers, v7/8/9 reviewed for various magazines - then
I switched to Caldera, then to SUSE and then to Ubuntu when it came
out.)

I'm trying to take a look at Fedora on real hardware as opposed to in
a VM. This is on a machine that multi-boots Windows 7, Ubuntu 13.10,
Crunchbang 11 and (used to) ElementaryOS.

I am trying to install on /dev/sda. It's a 1TB HD - there's also a
120GB SSD as /dev/sdb with Ubuntu's root filesystem and Win7 on it.

I have a pre-configured set of folders:

/dev/sda10 /home 150GB
/dev/sda11 (NTFS shared data) ~750GB
/dev/sda5 / 16GB <- this is where I want to put Fedora; it used to be
elementary's /
/dev/sda6 (Crunchbang /) 16GB
/dev/sda7 (FAT32, Windows pagefile) 8GB
/dev/sda8 (Linux swap) 8GB

So I need to tell Fedora to put root on sda5 and /home on sda10 and
use sda8 for swap. I want the bootloader on sda5 as well. I'm
currently using Ubuntu's GRUB, as it's my primary OS, but I plan to
replace this with a standalone boot manager.

I managed to get the Fedora installer to format sda5 but then, having
16GB of / + 150GB of /home and 8GB of swap, it said that it didn't
have enough space for the 6.7GB of stuff it needed to install and
crashed out with a series of Python errors.

Now it can't "see"  a distro on sda5, it won't let me choose it as an
option. I can't remove and recreate it, either - or at least, I can't
see how. I also can't see how to tell it to put the bootloader in the
root partition.

Is it me, or is the installer just not flexible enough to cope with
this sort of scenario?

> including any error messages received

Tricky when the system hangs.

> and how this differs from your expectation of what should have happened.

What I expect? Well, in a nutshell, I expect to be able to say:

"Here, >this< is your root, >this< is /home, swap is >there<, put your
bootloader in the root FS, now go."

Failing that, to be able to delete an existing root partition, make a
new one, say ">that< is your root, go".

Is that so unreasonable?

> The installer always keeps logs in /tmp

As I said, it locked up.

> - so go try a Fedora baremetal install and when it "won't install" and you're stuck, post the /tmp/anaconda.log, /tmp/program.log, and /tmp/storage.log.

I will have to look up what a "Fedora baremetal install" is. AFAICR I
saw no such option in the boot/install image.

> You can even fpaste them directly from the shell, just fpaste <filename> and then note the URL and post it.

[Googles "fpaste".]

Ah, the Fedora pastebin. Right. You saved so many characters by not
saying that, I entirely understand why you left it to me. </ironic>

I also note that you assume I have working Internet access off the
installer. Interesting.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884