Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 15:15:13 UTC 2014

On 24 March 2014 15:02, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On 03/24/2014 03:12 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> On 24 March 2014 12:45, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> /usr belongs on it`s own partition.  And last time I looked, it would
>>> not be compliant with the FHS not to have what is needed in /bin and
>>> /sbin but to use symlinks instead.
>>

>> I think that's a very 1980s, or early-1990s, way of looking at it.
>
> C'mon, feeling something is oldfashioned is hardly an answer.

Well, actually, sometimes, yes, it is. Same as the decision to drop
support for i386 from the kernel, or the fact that no installers
default to ext2 any more.

> Having been able to have /usr on a separate partition was a valuable
> feature, which now has gone lost. IMNSHO, ruined by naive, inexperienced
> kids (to use the same tone as you did), who were overwhelmed by the
> additional complexity supporting this feature had required.

I am not saying you're wrong, merely that I personally haven't seen a
use or need for it since about 1989 and I found the reasoning for its
collapse and merger to be sound.

> Wrong. You are forgetting about systems booting from SD-Cards, USB-sticks
> and other forms of non-volatile memory.

Is Fedora a suitable OS for such hardware? I'd argue not, myself.

> Wrong. Most servers typically are headless, and if they have a graphic
> card-build-in, it's usually inaccessible or unused.

I am actually an IT professional - no, honestly, really I am - and
every single rackmount server I've used in the last few years still
has an SVGA port on it.

> Right, there is no strong necessity, nevertheless having these still would
> make sense.

There was an argument; it was decided not. I wasn't involved. I happen
to agree, but I can't change it, so there's no point telling me! :¬)

> I disagree.

Yeah, I guessed. :¬)

> IMNSHO, UsrMove was a prominent epic fail in the long serious
> faulty decisions Fedora's leadership has committed.

We-eeeelll... I am not sure that I could overall disagree with the
general thrust of your argument there. :¬)

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk * GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven