Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 15:35:48 UTC 2014

On 24 March 2014 15:32, Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Since the normal way to boot a PC now is a complete functioning OS on
>> a single removable-media volume - be that an optical disk or USB flash
>> media
>
> Uhhh... wow. That's quite some selection bias you have going on there.
> For the record, I'm not aware of a single Linux user that boots their
> system that way. To hear it described as "normal" is somewhat strange.

Perhaps I should have been clearer; my apologies. I meant for
installation, recovery or repair purposes.

I am not aware of /any/ modern distro that has boot, root & source
media any more, or which supports installation from multiple floppies.
Even offering installation from multiple CDs is rare to unheard-of
now. Indeed CD support itself is disappearing - they're too small for
OSes here in the 2nd decade of C21.

--
Liam Proven * Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk * GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven