Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 16:24:00 UTC 2014

On 24 March 2014 16:11, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On 03/24/2014 04:15 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> On 24 March 2014 15:02, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>>>

>>> Wrong. Most servers typically are headless, and if they have a graphic
>>> card-build-in, it's usually inaccessible or unused.
>>

>> I am actually an IT professional - no, honestly, really I am - and
>> every single rackmount server I've used in the last few years still
>> has an SVGA port on it.
>
> But is it used, is it really accessed? I guess no.

Server not responding, plug in monitor + keyboard and check it out.
Often it will get rebooted anyway, but this is a useful tool. Even on
a VM you can often connect to a display.

>>> IMNSHO, UsrMove was a prominent epic fail in the long serious
>>> faulty decisions Fedora's leadership has committed.
>>

>> We-eeeelll... I am not sure that I could overall disagree with the
>> general thrust of your argument there. :¬)
>

> No need to do so. RH has implemented facts which have rendered this
> discussion moot. IMO, some hidden cabal at RH had decided to pick the
> ancient (> 20 years old) idea to abandon separate partions for /usr and /
> and to sell it as "revolutionary novelty", instead of shooting it down such
> proposals as "Windows way of thinking", as it has been done for 20 years
> before :)

It turned out that usrmove was not a bad idea because it was 'windows
thinking', but because it broke compatibility with other distributions
and caused problems with applications that had been written relying on
guarantees in the fs hierarchy. There are other people on this list
who can fill in details on their battles with the results.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk