Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Mar 24 18:30:23 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 10:38 AM, Tom Horsley issued this missive:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:27:14 -0600
> Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> Yeah I agree there's too much nervousness about SSD wear issues.
>
> And, of course, hard disks just never fail in comparison, right? :-).

It's not so much an issue that hard disks don't fail, but they usually
start giving some indication they're having issues (retries, etc.) so
you can plan for it (get a new drive, make sure you have a backup so
you can replace the drive and recover).

SSDs just...die. No warning, nothing. Suddenly the machine won't boot
and you find the SSD is just a lump of useless silicon. I've had to
replace at least four SSDs in Macbooks in the last year. Fortunately we
had backups for three of them, but the fourth guy was adamant that he
didn't need backups. Needless to say he was rather angry when it
crapped out on him. "I hate to say we warned you, but......"
-   Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the   -
-                     reader...who doesn't get it.                   -