Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 19:04:37 UTC 2014

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:30:23 -0700
Rick Stevens wrote:

> It's not so much an issue that hard disks don't fail, but they usually
> start giving some indication they're having issues

Not any disk I ever had fail. All of 'em worked perfectly
right up to the instant where they wouldn't boot
one day. Nothing in the logs, no smart warnings, nuthin.

In fact, I've always wondered what good all the smart
reporting is for since no disk I've owned has ever had any
problems reported right up to the point where it wouldn't
talk enough for smart to access it :-).