the "separate /usr" subthread

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 25 14:11:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 01:09:12PM +0100, lee wrote:
> > It's important to realize that you *can* have a separate /usr -- it just
> > really needs to be available at boot time.
> The F17 installer wouldn`t let me have it.

Yeah, but F20 installer does. What was the complaint again? :)

> > That means you can have separate mount options, filesystems, partition
> > constraints, or whatever. It just doesn't work anymore to have it on a
> > network share or (if anyone ever did this!) removable media added
> > after initial boot.
> But it works when you plug it in before booting?

Presumably. I haven't tried. Of course, you'll need whatever is necessary to
load that disk in the initramfs.

> > I used the network share case in the mid 1990s, when we were trying to
> > cram Irix 6 onto 800MB workstation drives. These days, that's not really
> > an issue. (And, hey, you can fit minimal Fedora in that space!) It might
> > be neat for some special cases, but I hope we can all agree that it *is*
> > a special case (and that Fedora isn't necessarily the right thing to
> > cover all special cases).
> It`s probably not totally impossible to do it, or is it?

Probably not, but you might need to do some special work (including possible
changes to "normal" Fedora) and that's probably okay.