Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I,?“Why?”)

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Mar 25 19:26:08 UTC 2014

On 03/25/2014 12:10 PM, Powell, Michael wrote:
> I disagree; if a user is presented with the following filesystem choices, btrfs, ext2, ext3, ext4, JFS, reiser4, reiserFS, and ZFS, and each is presented equally with a single paragraph describing its benefits, unless the user has prior knowledge about what is the best choice for the intended installation goal, they're most likely going to spend a great deal of time reading each paragraph. If you simplify the choices to 4 instead of 8, the user has less paragraphs to read and can make a decision faster.

Agreed.  However, it might be a good compromise to list only the most
common selections, with a button marked Advanced Options (There's
probably a better label, but if so, I can't think of it right now.)
containing the rest.  Beginners will, most likely, avoid that, but those
who need/want the more specialized file systems will still have access
to them.