Is it irrelevant what users of FOSS think? (Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?"))

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Tue Mar 25 23:09:36 UTC 2014

On 25/03/14 22:29, lee wrote:
> Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:
>
>> I reckon it's the case for most OSs that /most/ users don't really care
>> much about what they're using, nor how it works.  The large number of
>> clueless people using computers would seem to be evidence of that.
> The number of clueless people is also large without computers.
> Computers might only make that number larger.
>
>> It's a lesser number of people that have concerns about their OS.
>> Maybe that's why developers are less concerned about public opinions.
> Or maybe people don`t bother to have or bring about concerns because the
> developers don`t care.

And on it goes!
Fedora and Linux in general is what it is. We are fantastically lucky
that developers and testers donate vast knowledge, time and resources.
We have choice, so many variations.

If I were a developer thinking about improvement, speed, constant
changes in architecture and incessant increasingly aggressive system
attacks, which you and I are so sheltered from, I would not give a whit
about what users think. There are others who handle that part of the
development.
Please show some gratitude for those people who devote their all to
giving us a free unfettered operating system.
I, and my family are devoted Linux users for way over ten years and
grateful for the opportunity. We don't care what it looks like or how it
operates, we adapt and continue working as do hundreds of thousands of
users.

Roger