Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 26 06:13:52 UTC 2014

On 03/26/2014 06:45 AM, Robin Laing wrote:
> On 2014-03-24 08:25, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 23 March 2014 21:56, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

>>> Nowadays you may have SSDs which supposedly last longer when not
>>> written much to but mostly read from, so you might put the
>>> partitions that can be read-only on the SSDs and use magnetic disks
>>> for things like /var, /tmp, /home and swap.
>>
>> Machines come with dozens of gigs of RAM now. I'm not sure there's
>> much argument for swap at all, and personally, I use tmpfs for
>> better performance and a self-cleaning /tmp tree.
>
> New machines come with dozens of gigs of ram.
Exactly, but old one don't and old ones often can not even be upgraded.

That said, consider many so-far-WinXP users currently are trying to
migrate to other OSes. I can't deny finding it poor, Fedora is not an
option to many of them, because of Fedora's memory requirements [1].

Ralf

[1] From my experience, F20 can be made runable on machines with 512MB
RAM, but is hardly installable because the installer requires somewhat
less than 1GB RAM.