my stupid users trick -- the Firefox issue from earlier this month.wq

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 06:28:35 UTC 2014

On 25 March 2014 21:27, g <geleem at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On 03/25/14 23:17, Ahmad Samir wrote:
>>
>> On 25 March 2014 18:00, g <geleem at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> <<>>
>
>>> maybe in your experiences, but mine has been just to rename
>
>>> users's ".mozilla" directory and when firefox was called,
>>> firefox created a new ".mozilla" directory.
>>>

>> A Firefox profile directory is ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile_dir> ,
>
>> c.f.
>>
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox#Linux
>

> well, excuse my presuming that intelligent linux users, including
> many new linux users, reading my post would know that the
> "_user_profiles_" are in the user's directory, aka, "~". which is
> the *top* _directory_ of the _profile_directory_.

Apparently I am not that intelligent. :)

> and to correct what you posted, actual path of to the "<profile_dir>"
> as you put it is;
>
>   /home/[username]/.mozilla/firefox/wxzy1234.default/
> aka;
>   ~/.mozilla/firefox/wxzy1234.default/
>
> were in, 'wxyz1234' is a random mix of letters and numbers.
>
> therefore, all a user need do is rename ".mozilla", firefox will
> rebuild entire new path, starting with ".mozilla" in the users
> home directory. it does not have to _pre-exist_.

As far as a I am concerned, this is not a mudslinging contest, it's
about helping a user who posted about a problem with an application
he's using.

A Firefox profile directory is under ~/.mozilla/firefox/ by default,
it can have whatever name you select (you use the Firefox profile
manager to create it manually or edit ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini
manually). You can also edit ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini and set
an absolute path to the profile directory in any other location.

Now, can we get back on topic ( "a user has a problem with firefox not
closing cleanly when all its windows are closed")?

> btw, in your haste to correct me, i do notice that you did not
> get far enough into my post to see the following:

>>> btw, you will not hurt my feelings, and i doubt any of followers
>>> of this list if you would cut the 'dead wood' when you reply.
>>>
>>> thank you.

I replied two hours later and I did read that but I thought you were
talking about the above quotes.

[...]

--
Ahmad Samir