"Atomic"?? (was Re: Five Things in Fedora This Week (2014-03-25))

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Wed Mar 26 20:16:04 UTC 2014

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 16:31:20 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> Reposted from
> http://fedoramagazine.org/five-things-in-fedora-this-week-2014-03-25/
	[....]
> Fedora Atomic -------------
>
> Since this week has been a little slow, I’m going to cheat a bit and
> pull something big from the backlog. Fedora developer Colin Walters has
> launched a new project called Fedora Atomic. This system constructs
> git-like trees from existing official Fedora RPMs, and moves
> operating-system deployment from managing packages to managing these
> trees, with (as the name suggests) fully-atomic updates and rollbacks.

	Reading that, and following the links, makes it seem that there
is a new buzzword, "atomic" in some sense which may be apparent to those
who use it, but isn't to me. At first, I thought it might be a typo for
"automatic."

	Can you define the new Fedora-related sense in terms
comprehensible to old mossbacks? How about partially or "fully-atomic"??

Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.