Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Fri Mar 28 04:00:13 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-26 00:13, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 03/26/2014 06:45 AM, Robin Laing wrote:

>>> Machines come with dozens of gigs of RAM now. I'm not sure there's
>>> much argument for swap at all, and personally, I use tmpfs for
>>> better performance and a self-cleaning /tmp tree.
>>
>> New machines come with dozens of gigs of ram.
> Exactly, but old one don't and old ones often can not even be upgraded.
>
> That said, consider many so-far-WinXP users currently are trying to
> migrate to other OSes. I can't deny finding it poor, Fedora is not an
> option to many of them, because of Fedora's memory requirements [1].
>
> Ralf
>
> [1] From my experience, F20 can be made runable on machines with 512MB
> RAM, but is hardly installable because the installer requires somewhat
> less than 1GB RAM.

But that is the move forward with all OS's.

I agree, for XP users, the need for 1 or 2 gig is going to be a limit.
I have a couple of machines that have 250M of ram and I had to swap
around memory modules to get an install on one of them.  Now they are
just testing machines for drives and hardware things.

I would love to get all these Win XP users onto Linux, preferably Fedora
but if it won't install, then there is no path to that choice.

Maybe the work for the Raspberry Pi could be looked at as an option for
smaller machines.

But the direction Fedora isn't to look backwards but forwards.