Fedora 20 & Apple thunderbolt monitor - it just works!!!

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 28 15:15:21 UTC 2014

Tim:
>> Futzing the DPI is not really a good idea, and should only be done as
>> a last resort.  Firstly, GUI designers ought to make it easy for user
>> to select the font AND icon sizes that they want, properly.  If
>> people stopped futzing the DPI, there might be more pressure placed
>> on them to do that.

Chris Adams:
> Setting the DPI to the display's value is not the same as "futzing"
> it.

A prior post talked about changing the DPI, which I take to mean
changing it from the real value, to a fake one.  i.e. Futzing it means
faking the DPI to cause the system to scale all graphics abnormally.

Setting it correctly, whether automatically or manually would be the
right thing to do.  Probably even more so when you have a system that
does anti-aliasing of text.

> - A single DPI setting is really not correct, as multi-display setups
>   can be different size, resolution, etc.  Also, notebooks switching
>   from internal display to external (even if both aren't active at the
>   same time) can cause changes.

In all those cases, the DPI setting, as well as other screen settings,
all pertain to a particular display.  It *would* be seriously wrong to
set it once for one display, then have every other display set wrong.
And a seriously misdesigned system that cannot provide proper
configuration for each monitor, independently.

There are three parameter to a screen display, and the third can be
worked out from the other two:  Actual screen size, in real measurements
(inches, centimetres, feet, whatever), in both directions.  Pixel count
in both directions.  And the DPI, in both directions.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.