Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I,?“Why?”)

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Mar 28 16:52:05 UTC 2014

On 03/28/2014 09:47 AM, Bill Davidsen issued this missive:
> Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 03/25/2014 12:10 PM, Powell, Michael wrote:
>>> I disagree; if a user is presented with the following filesystem
>>> choices,
>>> btrfs, ext2, ext3, ext4, JFS, reiser4, reiserFS, and ZFS, and each is
>>> presented equally with a single paragraph describing its benefits,
>>> unless the
>>> user has prior knowledge about what is the best choice for the intended
>>> installation goal, they're most likely going to spend a great deal of
>>> time
>>> reading each paragraph. If you simplify the choices to 4 instead of
>>> 8, the
>>> user has less paragraphs to read and can make a decision faster.
>>
>> Agreed.  However, it might be a good compromise to list only the most
>> common
>> selections, with a button marked Advanced Options (There's probably a
>> better
>> label, but if so, I can't think of it right now.) containing the rest.
>> Beginners will, most likely, avoid that, but those who need/want the more
>> specialized file systems will still have access to them.
>
> This is absolutely just what is needed. Any hope it could get into fc21?
> If I could pick three things for some future release, they would be:
>    - better install for controlling allocation of storage by device
>      (but keep the serial number visible!!)
>    - install without using network, even if available
>      (because slow nets and/or per-byte charges prohibit upgrade to
> current)
>    - a more minimal "minimal install" would be nice.
>
> Anyway, having access to full control, somewhere easy to find, would
> probably solve many complaints. Thanks for listening.

This really needs to be aimed at the fedora-test list, since that's
where the development stuff is going on.
-   Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the   -
-                     reader...who doesn't get it.                   -