death key combo

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Sat Mar 29 20:30:56 UTC 2014

03/28/2014 12:47 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 03/28/2014 11:29 AM, Mike Wright issued this missive:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> f18
>>
>> Just had an inexplicable (to me) event occur.
>>
>> Accidentally typed "ctrl-alt-l" which caused a logout from my runlevel
>> 5, but did NOT shut down the running processes.
<snip />

Thank you Joe Zeff and Rick Stevens.

Your responses took me down a path and am pretty sure that I used up a
pair of glasses but that path opened up a whole new level of usability
that I never knew was there.

Joe: magic sysrq key on my old Dell laptop turned it into a stand-alone
with external everything (it faces the back wall where I don't have to
look at it ;D

Rick: my X session was screwed up.  I can ctrl-alt-l to my heart's
content and everybody can log in without killing anybody else's session
or the virtuals (router, mail, db, web, ... (family happy now; me too :)

Fedoristi, you're the best!

Ancient tech to the rescue!!!  Woo Hoo