video shimmer

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 30 12:14:16 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 28 March 2014, Claude Jones sent:
> I changed KVMs today, a more modern version of my IOGear USB switch. The
> three Windows machines on it look perfect. My Fedora machine has
> shimmering or vibrating effects around the edges of windows, fonts, and
> icons. The screen is viewable but really annoying. I'm running an NVidia
> 9500 card and it had been using the Nouveau driver - I tried switching
> to the NVidia driver from RPMFusion but there's no improvement. My
> resolution is 1920X1200 I'm using a Hanns-G monitor and it's being
> correctly detected. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to other
> trouble-shooting methods?

If it's analogue video signals, the first thing I'd try would be to swap
a video cable, there may be a bad shield.  Also, SVGA into a LCD monitor
can end up with the video output pixels not being aligned with the
monitor's pixels (try an auto reset option on the monitor).  LCDs work
best with digital video, with the video output set at the exact same
resolution as the monitor.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.