video shimmer

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 30 18:14:21 UTC 2014

On 03/30/14 10:07, Claude Jones wrote:
<<>>

> Thanks, Tim - Being an old TV guy, I did just what you suggested.
 > I tried swapping ports on the switch first, to see if the problem
 > moved. It didn't, so I swapped the cables out next. That ended up
 > clearing 95% of the problem up. There's still the faintest bit of
 > vibration on edges, and it's moved with the cable, so I suspect
 > that the cable has a problem - I'll call IOGear on Monday and see
 > if I can get them to replace it.

giving thought to Tim's suggestion and results of your show, i
will make a suggestion. use high quality video cables. cables that
are 100% shielded. even better yet, double shielded cables.

while you say you swapped cables and had 95% clearing, you do not
say if cables where on input or output side of kvm switch.

25 - 30 years ago, i bought a belkin omni view kvm switch, which
worked great for many years, then i decided to go headless and use
porting to 'see' other boxes. for a long time, switch sat collecting
dust until someone asked it they could borrow it to run a setup.

as it turned out, they also had video trouble. when i went to view
problem, and first saw it, i knew what it was. i had seen similar
during my audio/video days, which i described as 'slight video
tearing', aka, '60 cycle video hum', cause by bad cable shielding.

as a quick test for problem, because borrower did not have any
spare video cables, high quality or otherwise, as i had used,
borrower used what came with switch. we wrapped 2 of the video
cables, video in from one box and video out to monitor, with
strips of aluminum foil. video cleared.

next day, he bought 4 high quality video cables from a local
electronics supply, installed, no video tearing.

because such proved poor quality of shielding of supplied cables,
i would suggest you might try foil trick. if problems clears, i
suggest you get some high quality video cables. and i do not
suggest getting them from your local asian branded store. there
is very little that that company has of high quality.

if iogear is aware of problem, and i imagine they are, when you
contact them, ask if they have video cables with high quality
shielding. you may be able to get good cable from them. they may
cost you more than from a good local supplier. your option.

much luck.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.