video shimmer

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Mon Mar 31 11:34:46 UTC 2014

On 03/31/2014 04:24 AM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 30 March 2014, Claude Jones sent:
>> >Being an old TV guy, I did just what you suggested. I
>> >tried swapping ports on the switch first, to see if the problem moved.
>> >It didn't, so I swapped the cables out next. That ended up clearing
>> >95% of the problem up. There's still the faintest bit of vibration on
>> >edges, and it's moved with the cable, so I suspect that the cable has
>> >a problem - I'll call IOGear on Monday and see if I can get them to
>> >replace it.
> Try this - join two cable together, bypassing the kvm.  See if it still
> looks bad.  Some video cards don't have good output stages, and don't
> withstand being extended.  The same can go for the output stages on the
> kvm.  Use the shortest practical leads, where possible.

There's no way to do that. These are custom cables that have
single/special D-Sub connectors on one end that pick up the video and
vga signals, and breakout cables on the other end for plugging into the
connections on the computer. The strange thing is, this is a much more
expensive KVM than the one I replaced, which worked perfectly. I was
only trying a replacement because of a different issue I'm having with
some strange interference between my phone and my computer wiring. (When
I sit down at my desk, the device that picks up my handset and switches
to my headset, picks up the handset without being asked to, and at the
same time, the mouse and keyboard freeze on my computer - but, I digress)

--
Claude Jones Brunswick, MD, USA