video shimmer [Case closed, but not solved]

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Mon Mar 31 16:14:39 UTC 2014

On 3/31/2014 7:34 AM, Claude Jones wrote:
> On 03/31/2014 04:24 AM, Tim wrote:
>> Allegedly, on or about 30 March 2014, Claude Jones sent:
>> Try this - join two cable together, bypassing the kvm.  See if it still
>> looks bad.  Some video cards don't have good output stages, and don't
>> withstand being extended.  The same can go for the output stages on the
>> kvm.  Use the shortest practical leads, where possible.
>
> There's no way to do that. These are custom cables that have
> single/special D-Sub connectors on one end that pick up the video and
> vga signals, and breakout cables on the other end for plugging into the
> connections on the computer. The strange thing is, this is a much more
> expensive KVM than the one I replaced, which worked perfectly. I was
> only trying a replacement because of a different issue I'm having with
> some strange interference between my phone and my computer wiring. (When
> I sit down at my desk, the device that picks up my handset and switches
> to my headset, picks up the handset without being asked to, and at the
> same time, the mouse and keyboard freeze on my computer - but, I digress)

Arrived at work this am and found three computers running, but none of
the LEDs on the KVM were lit, and I faced blank screens, and a
completely non responsive KVM. Reboots, keystrokes, and mouse movements
had no effect. Since this new KVM didn't solve the main problem I was
trying to fix anyway, I saw no reason to persist with what is obviously
a flaky or poorly designed product. My old IOGear KVM which cost half of
what I'd paid for the new one, is back in the mix, and works perfectly.

--
Claude Jones Brunswick, MD, USA