Gnome weather extension as malware?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 2 03:26:24 UTC 2014

Tim:
>> While that sounds reasonable, the 15 second refresh period does not.
>> Does it really do that?  Is it really necessary to do so?

Steven Stern:
> I've left the capture running for a while and it seems that the timing
> varies.  It's been a while since it last checked.  It seems that the
> checks are once per 30 seconds.  So, that's one http call per 30
> seconds. I can live with that.

I was thinking of the other side of the equation:  Thousands of Linux
users all blasting some server every few seconds for the next few years.

Unless you're actually in the airport control tower, or flying a plane,
I doubt you need to keep updating a weather report that often.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.13.10-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Apr 14 21:00:56 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.