CPUFREQ on a Thinkpad Yoga i7 in a new Fedora 20 install

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Thu May 8 16:44:04 UTC 2014

On May 8, 2014 9:27 PM, "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a good experience, almost perfect, with Fedora some months ago,
staring with the Beta of F20.  Since then I've tried several Linux distros,
each of them as usual, with some issue to separate itself from the rest.  I
have a new Lenovo Yoga ultrabook  and want to ruin LInux on.  I have been
through 3 or 4.  So I thought, "Let's try Fedora again."

> The install went well on this UEFI system, installing the other linux
distros on other partitions, as well as the Windows Boot Loader, on the
Grub menu.  I am happy, Fedora is awesome.

> With the exception of a couple of wrinkles.
>
> First, I cannot seem to install Jupiter or any other useful cpufrequency
tool.  And with Fedora, I only see two governor options: performance, and
powersave.  This is extremely frustrating.  This laptop is running an Intel
i7 Mobile processor that touts a high CPU freq, but this is only in a
"turbo" mode.  Other distros have picked up at least four, on this same
machine.  What are the limitations I am facing here?  Kernel, modules, or
the inavailability of certain packages, like Jupiter, which I am starting
to like quite a lot?

> As a more general remark, Fedora 20 seems to have left a number of other
packages behind as well.

> I ran into a brick wall as far as documentation on this issue, the issue
about cpu frequency.

> I have now resorted to Desktop Manager roulette to try to find one that
supports this.  The E17,  for example, cpufreq tool, which works fine
elsewhere, does not function.

> Thank you,
>
> Alan Davis
>

> --
>

>From what I heard Jupiter isn't being developed actively anymore. Most of
the things it touted to fix have been incorporated upstream. The only
laptop battery saver tools, supposedly, I use are TLP and Thermal Daemon.
And you shouldn't be messing up with tools like cpufreq unless you know
what you are doing.

-
Sudhir Khanger.