Tips on burning to Bluray (BD-R) media under Fedora 20

Steven Ulrick meow8282 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 19:37:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 5:17 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2014 20:54:05 -0500
> Steven Ulrick wrote:
>
>> So, that's where I stand right now.  Of course, I may completely
>> misunderstand how to use your scripts.  Which is why I would like you
>> to tell me if that is the case...
>
> Sounds more like a bug in my isopack tool. Not sure I ever tried it
> on a collection of files too small to fill a disc. You should be
> able to use mkisofs and cdrecord for that. The isopack tool is
> designed primarily to cut down the list so the files it does pick
> will maximize the use of the disk.

I eventually found out that I messed up when I bought this drive...
It can't burn Bluray discs.
Here is a link to the full product description:
http://www.asus.com/Optical_Drives/BC12B1ST/specifications/

For your convenience, here is a list from that page of all the write
modes that this device supports:

Write Speed
DVD+R : 16X
DVD-R : 16X
DVD+RW : 8X
DVD-RW : 6X
DVD+R(DL) : 8X
DVD-R (DL) : 8X
DVD-RAM : 12X
CD-R : 48X
CD-RW : 24X

Writing Mode
DVD+R & DVD+R (DL) : Sequential Write
DVD-R & DVD-R(DL) : DAO/Incremental Recording
DVD+RW : Random Write
DVD-RW : DAO/Restricted Overwrite/Incremental Recording
DVD-RAM : Random Write
CD-R/RW : DAO/TAO/SAO/Packet Write

So, I need to return this drive and get the right one.

Steven P. Ulrick