UEFI Big Drive question

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sat May 10 00:29:57 UTC 2014

On 05/10/2014 10:16 AM, benfell at parts-unknown.org wrote:
> Stephen Morris writes:
>
> <snip>
>
>>     From experience I have also found that you can't install the
>> windows system partition on a GPT device and I thought I read
>> somewhere that you also can't put Linux /boot on GPT either.
>
> I don't know about the rest of it, but *this* sure doesn't match my
> experience. Windows systems most definitely *do* install on GPT
> partitions, and in fact the Windows installer will complain if you try
> to install on a DOS-style partition with a GPT-capable BIOS. Further,
> Linux /boot most definitely can be on a GPT partition--the notebook
> I'm writing this on has just this set-up.
I could be wrong about Linux as I haven't tried it, it was just the
impression I got from net articles, but when I upgraded my system to a
256GB SSD and 2 2TB hard disks, I tried formatting one of the 2TB hard
disks to GPT and tried to install Win 8 onto that device, and had the
installer explicitly tell me it could not install to a GPT device.

regards,
Steve