Upgrading Windows on a Linux laptop

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun May 11 15:35:28 UTC 2014

To:             	users at lists.fedoraproject.org
From:           	Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>
Subject:        	Upgrading Windows on a Linux laptop
Date sent:      	Sun, 11 May 2014 16:14:39 +0100
Send reply to:  	gayleard at eircom.net,
	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>

> I rarely use Windows on my dual-boot Fedora-20/KDE laptop,
> but I'd like to update Windows XP to Windows 7 now.
>
> I found when I did this on a CentOS machine
> I was unable to get back to Linux,
> and had to re-install CentOS.
> I don't understand why, as I had saved and re-installed the MBR.
>
> Am I wrong in thinking that this should be sufficient?
> If not, what else do I need to save?
>
> I don't intend to make any partition changes.
>
> All suggestions and advice gratefully received.

The MBR isn't all of the boot process anymore, generally additional code is in
the sectors after the first sector. I have a disk imaging project, and gone to
having it save a lot more than 1 sector with the MBR backup process.
Generally, the first partition starts at 1M instead of the second track.

Know that grub2 puts some extra code after the MBR and assume that 7 and
above also do.

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
>

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA     15170995.828796   |   SETI        25347421.019853
ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    24179686.220443