Pulseaudio volume control crashes sound

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Sun May 11 19:42:05 UTC 2014

I was trying to make a call on skype, and they couldn't hear me ( I
guess I need to plug in a microphone;-)
but in the process I ran the PA volume control, or tried to. It started,
brought up a window saying something like " trying to talk to sound
server, or connecting to sound server... I forget exactly", then the PA
volume control window disappeared, and I had no sound. Besides logging
out & back in,  what can I do to bring back the sound?? how do you
restart pulseaudio??

Fedora 20 amd_64..

what are my options to get rid of Pulseaudio?? install alsa??

--
Paul Cartwright