Remote Fedora 17 upgrade suggestions

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon May 12 21:30:30 UTC 2014

On 05/10/2014 04:28 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I've got a virtual server running on 123-reg's farm which is running F17.
>
> I'm looking for adivce, suggestions, gocha's etc regarding upgrading this
> system at least as far as F19 if not F20.
>
> I'm looking at probably using fedup as I've used that in the past but always
> on boxes that I was physically sat in front of.

I've had very good luck using the yum upgrade method...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum

I know it's not recommended but I've used it for upgrading my remote
colocated servers for years where I would just be flying blind with a
prayer with fedup or preupgrade.

What I usually do is to dump a list of the rpm packages on the current
server before starting, in case I have to remove any to resolve
conflicts.  Then just reinstall anything that was removed after the
upgrade.  I never skip releases either.  As it so happens, I just found
a server I had missed and it currently at F17.  So I'm starting that
process now.

> Gary

Regards,
MIke

--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com
    /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/          | (678) 463-0932 |  http://www.wittsend.commhw/