Upgrading Windows on a Linux laptop

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Wed May 14 23:22:41 UTC 2014

On 05/14/2014 06:41 PM, Steven Rosenberg wrote:

> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 8:19 AM, fedora <fedora at ayni.com
> <mailto:fedora at ayni.com>> wrote:
>
>     Ever considered to install W XP as a VM on linux?
>     I was successful with both of them (XP and 7) installed on
>     VirtualBox in Linux.
>

> This sounds like the best solution.

I asked and found that XP will still have the same vulnerability on a VM
as if
it were installed to its own partition. I came to the conclusion that if
a given
machine simply cannot run Win 7 because it's too slow, that it would be
necessary to obtain a better machine, OR only use XP with no internet
connection. This is possible if you dual boot with a Linux system. You can
access the 'net via Linux, and transfer any needed download to XP from
the Linux partition. A bit clumsy, but virus-free.
(I don't actually know how to make sure that nothing can get thru the
ethernet port to XP. I don't believe it's possible to remove Internet
Explorer, and
I don't know if it's still vulnerable if you never access it.)
Of course, the other answer is not to have an ethernet connection at
all, and to
move all files to XP via USB sneakernet.

--doug