changing editor in m-c

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu May 15 09:38:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, 14 May 2014 13:52:11 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I have spent sometime trying to figure out how to change the default
> editor in Midnight Commander. I am running XFCE most of the time on
> Fedora 19
>
> I have tried suggestions from Googling including exporting EDITOR in
> $HOME/bashrc...running select-editor ( doesn't appear to be on Fedora
> )and creating a .select_editor text file in HOME. None have worked so
> far.
>
> If I open a terminal first then m-c loads the proper editor...but if I
> call m-c from a desktop file which loads a terminal, then loads m-c with
> the -e option then vi is loaded.
>
> I am missing something.

First of all, it's "mc" ("man mc") or "MC" (as pointed out in the README). ;)

Disabling "use internal edit" in mc's menu and setting $EDITOR works for
me. Obviously, this can only work if the environment is kept intact and
not deleted prior to executing programs. Some terminals and tools don't
pass on the user's environment variables when executing programs. If you
make your desktop file not run mc but a script or another terminal, does
echo $EDITOR still show your customized setting?