Logitech C310 webcam- sound back

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu May 15 21:15:34 UTC 2014

On 15 May 2014 13:17, Paul Cartwright <pbcartwright at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/15/2014 04:03 AM, Ian Malone wrote:
>> Until you have pavucontrol fixed there is a command line approach. I
>> think this should work:
>> $ pacmd list-sources
>> ... find out the number N for your webcam (look for "index" at the
>> start of a section mentioning its type, or do something like:
>> $ pacmd list-sources|grep -E "device.product.name|index"
>>
>> $ pacmd set-default-source N
>>

>> To move a particular one (e.g. skype) once already started,
>> $ pacmd list-source-outputs
>> ... find the number M for skype.
>> Or something like:
>> $ pacmd list-source-outputs|grep -E "index|application.name"
>>
>> $ pacmd move-source-output M N
>> ... should move only skype (output M) to the microphone (source N)
>>

>> I've reconstructed this from what you'd do for sources, for which the
>> equivalents would be:
>> list sinks
>> set-default-sink
>> list-sink-inputs
>> move-sink-input
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/71863/how-to-change-pulseaudio-sink-with-pacmd-set-default-sink-during-playback/72076#72076
> well, I finally got my sound back, I had to set-default-source &
> set-default-sink back to my main SB card..
> still no mic in Skype, but at least I have sound back. shouldn't play
> around with pacmd without knowing what the defaults WERE:) or at least
> the file it modifies..

:( Sorry about that.

While you're making a test call Skype should show up as an output. For
me this looks like:
$ list-source-outputs|grep -E "index|application.name"
    index: 3
                application.name = "PulseAudio Volume Control"
    index: 4
                application.name = "PulseAudio Volume Control"
    index: 5
                application.name = "PulseAudio Volume Control"
    index: 6
                application.name = "PulseAudio Volume Control"
    index: 12
                application.name = "PulseAudio Volume Control"
    index: 13
                application.name = "Skype"

I'd misunderstood and thought you had no microphone recording, it
sounds like you have no sound altogether.
To move the microphone for Skype only I'd do:
$ pacmd move-source-output 13 1
(To move to source 1)

If Skype doesn't show up at all while making a test call then it's not
connecting to Pulseaudio. You need the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package
installed that matches the version of Skype you have (686 or x86_64,
also this is why you have two pulseaudio-libs installed, one 32bit and
one 64bit copy). Try ldd on the skype binary and see if it contains a
line like libasound.so.2 => /lib/libasound.so.2 (0xf763c000)

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk