UEFI Big Drive question

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sun May 18 21:50:55 UTC 2014

On 05/16/2014 11:06 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> [...]
>

>> The ability to turn UEFI off was critical for my system as I could not use my graphics card with UEFI as it was not supported by the built in signature database, and being a relatively new purchase I was not prepared to buy another one, also from what I have read, if using multiple Linux distros its potentially critical to turn UEFI off.
> I don't know what signature database you mean, but so long as you're not depending on Secure Boot, signed binaries don't matter on either Windows or Linux. The better alternative is to just not use Secure Boot if there are unsigned (possibly proprietary) 3rd party drivers for your graphics card. But if it's the case that the proprietary driver doesn't work with UEFI booting, then to use it yes you'd need to CSM-BIOS boot in which case you'll need to have an MBR partitioned drive in order to install Windows.
>

>>  From what I have read Fedora was going to purchase the signature files from Microsoft (as I understand it the owner of UEFI, I have seen it stated explicitly to this effect) to enable UEFI support, whereas Ubuntu is going to go down the path of self signing rather than purchase the necessary licenses from Microsoft. I use both of these distributions as well as Win 8 on the one machine.
> That's not correct. Microsoft does not own UEFI. You can find the member list here:
> http://uefi.org/members
>
> Again, the signing issues relate only to UEFI Secure Boot. The only key that's reliably already installed on x86_64 UEFI hardware is the Microsoft key, since in order to use the Windows logo that hardware must carry the Microsoft key. The Microsoft Windows hardware certification requirements require that  there's both a firmware option to disable Secure Boot as well as enabling other keys to be enrolled with the firmware. But getting the hardware vendors to pre-include a Fedora key was considered a.) difficult and b.) unfair to other smaller distributions who almost certainly wouldn't convince manufacturers to include their key.
>
> To make things easier for users, Fedora Project is registered with a Microsoft hardware dev account which offers a binary signing service. While there is a fee, it actually goes to Verisign, who is ultimately the certificate issuer, not Microsoft. The single thing Fedora gets signed through this service with the Microsoft key is shim.efi which is the first thing the firmware loads. Everything else, including grub, the kernel, and kernel modules, are signed with the Fedora key.
>
> If you read this:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/SecureBoot
>
> It looks like Canonical does the same thing. They have Microsoft sign Canonical's shim with the Microsoft key, and then shim.efi verifies grubx64.efi which is signed with Canonical's key. And so on, everything else being signed with Canonical's key. It's the same method as Fedora.
Hi Chris,
     I read an article in a computer magazine that actually said that
Fedora was buying a certificate from Microsoft but Canonical were going
down the path is self signing rather than purchase the certificate from
Microsoft. The same article also said that under UEFI all drivers would
have the be signed in order for devices to be used, and quoted the most
critical device impacted by this requirement as the graphics card. The
article also said that in order to implement the verification UEFI used
a database of signatures that were embedded into the firmware. Given
your information it appears as though the writer of the article
potentially had no idea what they were talking about.
     The issue I had with my graphics card was, having installed
windows, Fedora and Ubuntu from legacy mode in the firmware, I turned
UEFI on to test functionality and had booting fail before even getting
to the Fedora grub2 boot menu with a message that my graphics card was
not supported, so I had to switch back to legacy mode to be able to use
my pc.

regards,
Steve