Why doesn't Fedora 20 find my print server? (solved)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 21 13:26:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-05-21 at 16:30 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I'm not 100% clear on what you're saying.
>
> I think you are saying you have a CUPS print server set up on your LAN
> on a system running some version of Linux.  And, the CUPS server is
> setup to share the printer to all systems on the LAN.

Correct.  And that's been working brilliantly, for many years.

> I think you are saying that F20 client systems are unable to detect
> the network printer when you run something like
> "system-config-printer" and try to add a printer.  The F20 client
> systems' firewall has been modified to allow ipp-client packets.

Kind of...  I'm not trying to manually add a printer, I don't want to do
that.  I want to open the, say "print" document item in the file menu
and have the print-this-file-window, that pops up, show me the printers
available on my server, so I can choose which one to print to.  The same
as it has done for many years, on prior versions of Fedora, and other
distros (e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS).

Normally, CUPS doesn't require clients to add printers, clients
automatically find all the printers that any local CUPS servers provide,
and present them in your list of where to print to.

Yes, you can manually add printers, but that can get in the way of
automatic discovery, or leave you with multiple instances of a printer
being listed (those you've added, plus the ones it found).

Oddly, this MATE installation doesn't pre-install anything for
configuring a printer, there is no system-config-printer, nor
equivalent, there's only the http://localhost:631/ CUPS interface.

> I ask this since I've got a Synology NAS running a CUPS server and
> sharing an HP printer.  My F20 systems are able to detect the printer
> just fine.

I now have it working, thanks to Thomas Woerner's message.  I'd already
started the CUPS service (which wasn't set to run at boot, by default),
but didn't know about another service that needed starting.  Namely, the
"cups-browsed.service".  These four commands are my solution:

  systemctl enable cups
  systemctl start cups
  systemctl enable cups-browsed
  systemctl start cups-browsed

I'm running the MATE spin of Fedora 20.  I've done minimal
customisation, and I haven't removed any software that I can recall,
certainly no configurators.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.14.3-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 6 19:23:18 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.