Off topic: HP UPS battery (was: web hosting sites))

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat May 24 15:00:56 UTC 2014

On 05/24/2014 06:29 AM, lee wrote:
> Les Howell <hlhowell at pacbell.net> writes:
/large snip/

> [1]: My latest example is HP being unable to replace a simple UPS
>       battery.  They said I could file a support ticket they, of course,
>       would charge me for just to find out a price for a new one.  I
>       thought HP is a big company which surely is able to deliver spare
>       parts for their products, yet they can`t even give you a price.  I
>       had to buy a new UPS and went with another manufacturer.  That
>       hasn`t been the first case their so-called support totally sucks,
>       so I don`t buy HP anymore.
>
> [2]: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OsCommerce

If you had taken the UPS apart, you would have found a battery that
could easily have been replaced
from many distributors, and probably by BestBuy. All you need to know is
the voltage, the physical
size, and the connector type.  All the common UPS units for home/small
office are sealed lead-acid,
12 volts, and frequently 7.5 AH. AllElectronics will sell you one of
these for $23.50. There are also
12 AH and 18 AH batteries for higher prices, but they are a different
physical size.

Even if your unit was something bigger, it almost surely used a standard
battery, or batteries,
and HP is not in the battery business, so you could buy a replacement
from a source that would
almost surely be cheaper!

--doug